The Guildhall is a Grade II* Listed Building in the centre of the town that dates back to 1837 and was formerly the Corn Exchange. It is situated on the site of former municipal buildings and a market from the late 18th century. Much work has been carried out since this time with major renovations starting in 1998 and being completed and reopened in 2003 with financial assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The intention of the redevelopment project was to ensure the building has long term sustainability as a community resource as well as to manage this historic asset in the most appropriate manner.
The Guildhall complex is used primarily as a community building for a wide range of activities and in 2009 it became the permanent base for Chard Town Council. It is an important civic building and houses the Mayor’s Parlour and Town Council offices.