LOCAL ELECTIONS 2nd MAY 2019
The four-yearly, all-out, elections for South Somerset District Council and Chard Town Council and Parish Councils in the District will be held on Thursday 2 May 2019. Polling stations will be open from 7.00 a.m. – 10.00 p.m. on that day. If they wish to serve for a further term of office, all councillors currently in office must stand for re-election.
If the same number as, or a lesser number than, nominations are received than there are vacancies for the Council or ward, candidates validly nominated will be elected unopposed. If there are more nominations than there are vacancies, an election will be held.
Key dates in the election timetable are:
• Friday 22 March 2019 – Publication of the notices of election. Nominations may be submitted from this date (but not before). Nominations must be delivered by hand.
• Wednesday 3 April 2019, 4.00 p.m. – Close of nominations. No nominations may be accepted after this date.
• Friday 12 April 2019 – Last date for applying to be included in the register of electors (if not already included) to enable you to vote at the elections on 2 May.
• Monday 15 April 2019, 5.00 p.m. – Last date for the receipt of applications to vote by post at the elections
• Wednesday 24 April 2019, 5.00 p.m. – Last date for the receipt of applications to vote by proxy at the elections (other than emergency proxies – for further information about emergency proxies please contact Electoral Services)
If you wish to stand for election for the District Council, please refer to the Electoral Commission’s guidance at:
Or, if you wish to stand for election at a Parish or Town Council, the Electoral Commission’s guidance is available at: