Chard Town Council has had a busy year, having accomplished various projects, delivered a variety of events and met some key milestones.
Some of the successes have been:
- Joint organized the first Chard Wassail in collaboration with Chard Museum, which took place in the community orchard located behind Chard Museum
- Completion of the community plan, following extensive work with a dedicated steering group and processing of a community wide survey
- Hosted 4 comedy nights at the Guildhall, entertaining approx. 400 attendees
- Delivered a second Spring Festival under the banner of Culturally Chard, attracting 700 attendees to its various events
- Held a St. George’s Day Dragon Parade
- Hosted a Town Crier competition featuring 14 Criers attending from all across the UK
- Provided 2 Fun Fairs on council land in May and October and a circus in July
- Held a Remembrance Sunday Parade
- Completed upgrades to Upper Henson Park, following consultation with schools, youth groups and local residents
- Launched a new website and branding for the Guildhall, which included a virtual tour of the building and increased the use of the building
- Provided support in a variety of different ways to other events, such as Chard Carnival, a family Halloween event and Christmas Lights Switch On
- Awarded numerous community grants, which have benefitted a range of organizations to include Blackdown Acapella and Somerset Youth Theatre
We are wishing residents a warm and restful Christmas and look forward to meeting more milestones in 2024. On Tuesday 16th January we are holding a public participation event at the Guildhall. This informal afternoon/evening will be a great opportunity, which we welcome everyone along to, to learn more about their local town council, what projects we have been working towards, our future aspirations and to meet the Officers and Councillors behind them. See associated flyer for more details.