The Guildhall is a Grade II* Listed Building in the centre of the town that dates back to 1837 and was formerly the Corn Exchange. It is situated on the site of former municipal buildings and a market from the late 18th century. Much work has been carried out since this time with major renovations starting in 1998 and being completed and reopened in 2003 with financial assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The intention of the redevelopment project was to ensure the building has long term sustainability as a community resource as well as to manage this historic asset in the most appropriate manner.
The Guildhall complex is used primarily as a community building for a wide range of activities and in 2009 it became the permanent base for Chard Town Council. It is an important civic building and houses the Mayor’s Parlour and Town Council offices.
Facilities include the main Auditorium with its own stage and balcony which can accommodate over 200 people. The Town Hall on the second floor is an ideal meeting room and conference centre and has an external balcony overlooking the main street. The Mayor’s Parlour is located on the third floor and offers a smaller meeting venue. There is a cafe available for hire with the Auditorium and when hiring the Town Hall a pantry is available for serving light refreshments.
The Guildhall is available for hire for all occasions and will lend itself to a wide variety of events. If you are planning an event be sure to make it at the Guildhall. To check availability or for a price quote, please contact us on 01460 239567.
Our hire charges are reviewed every April, please see the link below to download further information and prices.